- Chemical Development & Scale-Up in the Fine Chemical & Pharmaceutical Industries
- Principles and Practice
- 22.04.2009 - 24.04.2009
- Hyatt Regency Pier 66 - Fort Lauderdale
- View Brochure
Chemical process development is generally not taught as part of degree courses in higher education; the conversion of a synthetic route used for making milligram or gram quantities of a chemical into a process for manufacturing multi-kilogram and tonne quantities is typically learnt “on the job” by chemists in industry. For many years, little chemical development work was published in the literature, until the establishment of the Organic Process R & D journal by Dr Trevor Laird (Founder of Scientific Update). Even now, “tricks of the trade” are handed down within individual company organisations, and it can be difficult to gain an awareness of what is involved in chemical development, and of the skills and techniques required to efficiently scale up chemical processes.
This three-day course, written and presented by highly experienced process chemists from the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, provides a comprehensive overview of this fascinating and important element of the chemical industry. A logical investigative approach to all aspects of chemical development is described, with an abundance of case studies from literature, conferences and private communications. The multi-disciplinary nature of chemical development is emphasised, from the initial interaction with laboratory research scientists to the vital partnership with chemical engineers in the pilot plant and in the production environment. The lectures are interspersed with interactive problem sessions, enabling participants to share in the problem solving and troubleshooting typically experienced during chemical development.
Course Objectives - What does the course set out to achieve?
- To train R and D chemists and engineers in the most efficient methods for developing cheap, robust processes used to manufacture fine organic chemicals in the minimum amount of time.
- To educate chemists in the principles of scale-up and development, in basic chemical engineering concepts and in techniques for the optimisation of processes.
- To educate chemists to learn from the experience (and mistakes) of others by examining case studies from industry.
At the end of the course participants will have gained:
- A logical investigative approach to chemical development and optimisation.
- An insight into the factors involved in development and scale-up.
- An appreciation of chemical engineering concepts, particularly mixing, heat transfer and process control.
- A preliminary knowledge of statistical methods of optimisation.
- Improved ability to decide which parts of the chemical process to examine in detail
- Ideas for efficient resource allocation
- Improved troubleshooting and problem solving ability
Who Should Attend?
- Young Chemists who have just started work in industry as development chemists
- Organic Chemists/Medicinal Chemists in Research and Development who would like to gain an appreciation of development and scale up and who are perhaps contemplating moving into chemical development.
- Development and Production Chemists in industry who would like to improve their efficiency and gain an insight into alternative approaches to chemical development.
- Chemical Engineers who wish to understand a chemist’s approach to chemical development of batch processes. (Engineers would, however, need a good grounding in organic chemistry)
- Students who are about to enter the industry and can obtain company sponsorship.
- Experienced Chemists looking to refresh and/or augment their knowledge of chemical development
- Analytical Chemists who wish to gain a broader appreciation of process chemistry
- Managers who might benefit from a comprehensive and up to date overview of chemical development
- Course Fee:
- Multi Discount:
- SAVE 5% for 2 attendees and 15% for 3 attendees
- Hyatt Regency Pier 66 - Website
- 2301 S.E. 17th Street
- Postcode / ZIP:
- Fort Lauderdale
The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel is set amidst 22 acres of lush tropical vegetation on the IntraCoastal Waterway, with the beach nearby, and provides excellent recreational facilities, including an aquatic centre. In addition, the hotel has a well equipped spa and business centre. High-speed internet access is available in all the rooms, with wireless access offered in all public areas.
The hotel is holding standard rooms for us at a discounted rate. Scientific Update is contractually obligated to certain financial goals with the hotel. Your reservation is greatly appreciated, as it helps to meet our agreement. Please make your reservation soon in order to secure the reduced group rate.
From Ft. Lauderdale International Airport (3 miles):
Take Federal Hwy. North to 17th St. Causeway East. Hotel is on east side of Intracoastal.
From Miami International Airport (45 minutes):
Take I-95 North to I-595 East. Proceed north on Federal Hwy. to 17th St. Causeway East. Hotel is on east side of Intracoastal.